I hope you had a great weekend, enjoying the beautifully warm and sunny Miami beach weather! Over in the UK, the weather wasn’t quite so wonderful, but the great thing is we did get some sun of Saturday!!
I haven’t been cooking too many legumes, so this weekend I decided to make red lentils that are so nutritious and delicious… This is a recipe I have made before, yet this time the addition of the roasted bell pepper really makes the whole dish 10x better! Don’t let the long list of ingredients scare you, this really is an easy recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or pureed
- 4 stalks of celery, washed and sliced crosswise 1/2-inch thick
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 medium Sweet Potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cups red lentils
- 8 cups water
- 1 sweet roasted bell pepper
- 1 400gr can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, washed, leaves sliced thin crosswise
- Heat olive oil in pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring, 10 minutes until softened and beginning to color.
- Add garlic and cook one minute to release its aroma.
- Add celery and cook 2 minutes until softened.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt, the pepper and the turmeric, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, and bay leaf and cook 2 to 3 minutes to develop the flavor of the spices.
- Add tomato paste, potatoes, lentils and water and cook 45 minutes; the lentils and potatoes should be quite tender.
- Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon salt, roasted bell pepper, tomatoes and honey and heat through. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve garnished with cilantro(fresh coriander).
Also, I highly recommend either placing a spoonful of sour cream or even better cream cheese to make the texture even creamier!
This recipe is an adaptation from (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/moroccan-spiced-red-lentil-soup-recipe/index.html)